We were looking for something easy and delicious for dinner tonight. I knew I wanted to use shrimp, so I started there. Scrounging around the fridge produced grape tomatoes and some frozen peas, so I came up with this yummy meal.
- 1 bag frozen shrimp, thawed and shelled. Salt and pepper shrimp before cooking.
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Coconut oil
- White wine
- Savory nutritional yeast flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- Pasta water
- Thin Spaghetti, cooked al dente’
- 1 Egg yolk, whipped with a fork and tempered with a few spoons of pasta water
- In boiling, salted water, cook your pasta, saving 1 cup of pasta water
- In a large saute’ pan, heat coconut oil and sear shrimp on both sides until toasty.
- Add peas and tomatoes, saute’, then add some white wine and allow to cook through.
- Season dish using dashes of yeast flakes, parmesan cheese, and a bit of pasta water. Taste after each addition before moving forward, adjusting as needed. Pasta water will add a bit of thickening, so take your time with this step.
- Drain pasta and add cooked pasta to shrimp mixture and toss to combine.
- Remove from heat and add whipped egg yolk to add in a bit of creaminess.
- Toss well and serve. I like to top with parsley or minced chives.
This is one of those meals that can be thrown together fairly easily. I like to keep bags of frozen shrimp and peas on hand. If you don’t happen to have grape tomatoes in your fridge, you can substitute a small amount of sun-dried tomatoes (sliced thin) or leave them out altogether. Play with your ingredients and come up with your family’s favorites. Enjoy creating your own version!