When you’re cooking, it’s always nice to have a great basic recipe for an easy pasta sauce in your arsenal. Something that you can pull together with items from your pantry can make you feel prepared to whip up a great dinner any night of the week. This is that sort of a recipe… it’s foolproof, yet easy to adapt to each family’s favorite tastes, which makes it a perfect “starter recipe” to have on hand.
- 1-28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste (you’ll only need an amount the size of your thumb)
- Seasonings (I like Italian Seasonings, Basil, and Oregano, as well as salt & pepper)
- Red wine (Use as much or as little as you like – I used a dry red that I had in the fridge)
- Balsamic Vinegar (One of my favorite ingredients to use to punch up the flavor)
- Brown Sugar (I used 2 spoons-worth, but use as much or as little as you like)
In a medium saucepan, blend the entire can of crushed tomatoes, a thumb-worth of tomato paste, the seasonings and red wine. Once this mixture simmers for a bit, add a bit of the vinegar and the brown sugar… make sure to taste your pasta sauce as it cooks and adjust the seasonings as needed.
For the latest dinner, I roasted a few turkey meatballs and added them to the sauce before dinner. I served the meatballs and sauce on a bed of cooked thin spaghetti and it was a huge hit… everyone soaked up the last bits of sauce with pieces of bread, which is a positive sign in our house.
Hope you enjoy making this sauce for your own family… feel free to adjust and alter ingredients to make this sauce your own!