You’ve had the traditional “Green Bean Casserole“, right? It’s the one on the back of the Campbell’s soup can…. the one that has been around forever… the one that everyone makes for holiday meals. What would you think if I told you that we make this same casserole with PEAS instead of green beans? THIS is a game-changer, people. It’s absolutely amazing and is a staple on almost every holiday menu (or at least Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter) in our family.
- Frozen Peas (1- 1 1/2 16oz bags)
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 can French’s Onion Rings (reserve 1/2-3/4 cup for topping)
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup white wine (I like a dry or semi-dry wine)
- 1 packet G. Washington Brown boullion *Trust me, this stuff is worth finding. LOVE it and use it in so many ways!
- Mix everything together, topping with the reserved Onion Rings.
- Bake in greased casserole dish at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until bubbly.
This is our family’s “must have” recipe on any holiday table. It also works well when mixing with turkey, stuffing, and gravy (and topped with mashed potatoes) to make a leftover turkey shepherd’s pie.
Give it a try sometime… you may find that you like this even better than the standard recipe!